Mainly for Admins and Editors
This page is organised in the same order as the WordPress Admin ‘Dashboard’.
Posts and Comments
Posts are not used in the Marketors Theme.
Pictures, PDF and DOC files can be uploaded here, and can be used in links throughout the site.
WP loads files into wp-content/uploads/yyyy/mm directory (‘yyyy’ is year and ‘mm’ month) via the ‘Add New’ Media button in wp-admin. Once in the library you can label them and use the links in pages. By default when inserting pictures into a page, WP makes the picture a link to itself. To avoid this, click the ‘None’ button under the link when viewing the image settings.
Note – WP has a standard 2MB limit on filesize. If you need to upload a bigger file, use FTP and put it in wp-content/uploads. It will be outside the Media library handled by WP, so you will have to put in the link manually*. For big files that you don’t want to be handled by browsers but just downloadable on click, upload them to wp-content/uploads/downloads – it contains a directive to force downloading.
* Consider using ‘Add from server’ plugin if there are many of these files.
New pages are created from the admin left menu – ‘Add New’.
- Click on ‘Screen Options’ to ensure you can see all the relevant options.
- If the page has no parent (under ‘Page Attributes’), it will be a main page and will automatically appear in the left navigation menu. Otherwise put it under an appropriate parent and it can be linked to from other pages.
- Pages should normally have the default template (also under ‘Page Attributes’). The other templates are for special pages.
- The header and footer of each page are created by the header.php & footer.php files in the theme directory
Events are created and altered from the ‘Events’ choice in the left-hand menu.
- Manage Events – give a list of all events intially in reverse date sequence. The title, categories and the days until the event are also shown. Selecting an event allows amendments or deletion.
- Add/Edit Event – allows alteration of any detail of the event. New events have some common fields pre-filled.
- Manage Categories – allows the creation and amendment of category names which can be appiled to any Event.
(See also Users below to set use restrictions.)
The Marketors Theme is selected, no widgets are in use, and the built-in Editor allows changing of the stylesheet or any of the php templates.
There is only one plugin used – WP-Events. N.B. This has been modified so do not update it automatically to a later version!
Here you can create other users who can access the Admin area. They are the default WordPress roles:
Administrators can alter Appearance, Users and change any Settings.
Editors and above can upload to the Media library and alter or add Pages.
Authors only have access to Media functions.
Under Settings – Events, roles can be separately assigned to event handling. By default Editors and above can Add and Change events, only Administrators can Mangage events and categories.
WordPress settings – very few standard settings need to be changed. There is a separate section for Events where changes can be made to the layouts and access to the event functions.